I am always delighted when a Life Coaching client comes to me requiring assistance on becoming a more resilient person! This is also one of my popular workshops or speaking topics.
Learning how to become more resilient impacts everyone. It doesn’t matter whether you are a stay at home mum, an aged care worker or a Chief Executive, a strong feeling of resilience inside of you, will result in your life feeling much and far less stressful!
The Emotional Roller Coaster
Most of us have just got used to living our lives riding around on the emotional roller coaster. As a result, we don’t find that inner ‘steadiness‘ that keeps us grounded deep inside of us and which helps us become a more resilient person. We end up at the mercy of our emotions which can frequently shift from positive to negative, depending on who we are hanging out, circumstances around us or even what we read in the media. Therefore, It can just take a small hurtful remark or a small change in plans to have us knocked around like a feather both mentally and emotionally.
A lack of resilience can leave also leave us feeling anxious, fearful and upset and an inability to bounce back from life’s unexpected twists and turns.
Real resilience and becoming more resilient is about feeling that inner steadiness of a rock inside of you – standing firm in the knowledge that when things go wrong or change is happening, that it is not the end of the world. It is the ability to look forward and not get too upset or deflated when things don’t go according to plan.
Your body also feels much happier when you become more resilient as you feel a sense of safety and a knowing that you are going to be ok.
Here are a few Common Traits of Resilient People:
1) Trusting that things will work out ok for them in the end
2) Seeing change as a natural part of life and being flexible when change hits.
3) Caring enough about how they feel so they don’t allow themselves to keep focussed on what ‘ should have happened’
4) Choosing to soothe themselves in times of stress
5) Caring about how they feel so they would prefer to focus on the outcome that they desire, rather than the current reality of the situation.
Here are a few of my top tips for becoming a more resilient person:
- Choose Kindness towards yourself – resilience is often about the fear of not being able to cope or the fear of change.
- Soothe and encourage your inner child reminding them that they will be ok and they are safe.
- Repeat the following affirmation ‘Even though it doesn’t feel like it, everything is working out for me’.
- Question your thought patterns – are you mind reading or assuming that you won’t be able to cope?
- Ask yourself – What’s the worst that could really happen?
If you would like to become a more resilient person and learn to cope easily with life’s ups and downs, why not check invest in yourself and book a Life Coaching Session with me?
Lisa Phillips, Life Coach Northamptonshire
Lisa Phillips is an fully qualified and experienced Northamptonshire Life Coach and Confidence Expert. She has over 20 years experience and her work is regularly featured in the media. . She is the author of ‘ The Confidence Coach’ book. Lisa is also a Professional Speaker on topics such as Building Resilience, Confidence and Employee Wellbeing. Lisa Phillips has won several awards for her Life Coaching work and is currently the Confidence Coaching expert on The Love Destination TV. Why not contact Lisa Phillips today for a no obligation chat to see how she can help you?
Although Lisa is based in Northamptonshire, she works with her Life coaching clients all over the world via Skype or telephone. Lisa also offer Career Coaching, Business Coaching and Interview Coaching. She also offers a range of online Group Coaching courses.