Do you practice inner self care? We are always being advised to look after our own ‘ self care’. However, what does Self Care mean to you? Do you practice inner self care or just external self care?
If I ask my Life Coaching clients how they practice self care in their lives, they often respond with answers such as :
• I get a manicure every two weeks
• I take a hot bath
• I go for walk with the dog
• I get a massage occasionally
• I take a break when I can
This is a great start! However, you need to also look after your thoughts and feelings when you are practising what I call ‘ external self care’.
Inner Self Care is about your Feelings and Thoughts.
Think about it, when you have a manicure, massage or walk, what are your thoughts like? Are you still beating yourself up, criticising yourself or worrying about life? If so, you may be practicing external self care but you are not practising internal self care! This is actually the most important thing!
What is real internal Self Care?
• Compassion with yourself
• Soothing and encouraging yourself and your thoughts
• Treating yourself with love and kindness
• Unconditional love to yourself
• Following your own stream
• Being true to your own passions, needs and wants
Life responds to your Thoughts and Feelings
This is a universe of attraction and what ever you feel, you will receive. Therefore, it really doesn’t matter what you do, it is more about how you FEEL.
If you love having a manicure, then make sure you practice some internal self care at the same time! Enjoy how the manicure feels to you, sit in the emotion of feeling worthy and deserving of it. When you practice this, the universe responds to this vibration and provides you with more of these good feelings. However, if you are in a rush, thinking about the manicure being expensive or that you don’t have time, then the universe will give you more of these feelings. You get back what you vibe out!
It isn’t a one off – it is a way of life
Learning internal self care, caring for your mind, body and soul is a way of life. It is more than a one off activity.
Try some of these ideas for practising real internal self care:
1. Pay more attention to feeling good on the inside. Do more of things that make you happy. Tune into your happiness stream.
2. Consciously choose time for you and learn to switch off from other things that are going on in your life. Focus on your breath or try meditation to slow down your thoughts
3. Have a self care date. This is just for you. Eat and do all the things that make you happy. Feel in your heart how much you deserve this time.
4. Start a Love Journal. Most people find this difficult but try writing down 1 thing you like about yourself daily. Don’t just write it – FEEL IT!
5. Start a compliment book. Don’t just read them, feel any compliments you receive in your feelings and heart.
Your Self Care Stream
If you are familiar with my work as a Life Coach or have heard me guest speak at an event, you will know I talk about ‘your stream of life‘ regularly. Use this stream adage to build momentum on your own self care practice. Practices like self praise, self encouragement and self soothing will all help you to flow downstream into internal self care.
Lisa Phillips – Award Winning Life Coach and Confidence Expert
Based in the Northamptonshire area, award winning Life Coach Lisa Phillips has won many international awards for her leading edge Life Coaching techniques. Lisa is also the author of The Confidence Coach book and her work appears on The Love Destination TV app. Lisa provides 1 on 1 Life Coaching, Skype Life Coaching and Group Life Coaching sessions.
Why not contact Lisa today to find out how she can help you?