One of the methods that I regularly use in my Life Coaching Practice is Your Personal Bill of Rights. This simple process is a great reminder to myself and all my clients that their needs are just as important as every body else’s! I first came across this idea through the work of Edmund Bourne, PhD, in his book The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook.
The Personal Bill of Rights is a reminder that every one in the world deserves to be treated well and the importance of making your own feelings a priority.
In the section below, I have highlighted my own Personal Bill of Rights. These rights are not just unique to me, they are applicable to you, and every other person living and breathing on this planet.
Personal Bill of Rights
• I have the right to choose how and when to fulfil my own needs, even if my choices conflict with other people’s opinions or desires.
• I have the right to my own personal time and to choose what I want to do with it.
• I have the right to make myself and my choices my first priority.
• I have the right to do what makes me feel happy, even if it does not make other people happy.
• I have the right to care for and look after my own needs. •
I have the right to set my own rules and priorities.
• I have the right to say what I feel.
• I have the right to express my opinions and beliefs.
• I have the right to change my mind if I feel like it.
• I have the right not to make a decision until I am ready to do so.
• I have the right to say ‘yes’ or ‘no’ without having to explain myself.
• I have the right to decline responsibility for other people’s problems.
• I have the right to be illogical in making decisions.
• I have the right to be listened to, and taken seriously.
• I have the right to make mistakes.
• I have the right to choose my friends and acquaintances and decide when to spend time with them. I do not have to justify these choices to others.
• I have the right to respectfully tell others how their actions are affecting me.
When you read over the list, were any of the rights surprising to you? Did you realize you had all of these human rights? Often, many of us were not brought up to realise we have these personal rights at all!
Learning to exercise these rights will help you build up your confidence muscle and become a more assertive person.
Northamptonshire Life Coach Lisa Phillips
Award winning Life Coach and Confidence expert Lisa Phillips has over 18 years experience as a Leading Life Coach. Her work is featured extensively in the media. Lisa is also the author of The Confidence Coach book and provides also online coaching, Career Coaching and Interview Coaching.
She has a passion for being a guest speaker and has spoken at over 200 events. Lisa also provides a wide range of w wellness workshops for organisations and their employees.
Why not Contact Lisa today for a no obligation chat?