Do you have any Self Respect? A simple question, but maybe not such an simple answer for many of us.
UK statistics now show 3 out of 4 people struggle with Self Esteem. For me personally, self esteem and self respect go hand in hand.
What is Self Respect?
The definition is a pride and confidence in oneself; a feeling that one is behaving with honour and dignity.
Own up – have you ever done any of the following?:
- Chased a partner or sent endless messages to them seeking attention or trying to get them back?
- Lied to someone in order to get what you want ( or manipulated the truth a little even??)
- Stayed too long in a relationship as you didn’t want to be alone?
- Been a people pleaser?
- Took a job or a salary that you felt did not match your skills and experience?
- Ignored your own needs in order just to keep someone else happy?
- Allowed someone to walk all over you or treat you badly?
- Beaten yourself up or criticised yourself?
- Felt not good enough, not worthy enough or not deserving?
- Disliked yourself?
If so, you are not alone! However, all of the above are examples show a lack of self respect for yourself.
Treating Yourself with Self Respect
A person with self-respect simply likes her- or himself. This is an internal feeling that is not contingent on other people liking them. They are not looking to get their good feelings from people around them as they internally know they are good enough!
If you want to in your personal self respect, then you need to start treating yourself as a valuable human being. This involves honouring your own needs, prioritizing your self and quit settling for second best. It also mean respecting yourself enough to walk away from unhealthy relationships and people.
You also need to hold yourself in high esteem and knowing that you are good enough and worthy enough to be treated well by other people. An example of self respect is when you know you deserve to be treated right and, as a result, you do not tolerate others lying to you or treating you unfairly. Nor do you chase them or beg with them to treat you better!
Award Winning Life Coaching
If you would like some help on building self esteem and confidence, please contact award winning Life Coach and Confidence Coach Lisa Phillips. Lisa also provides a wide range of Life Coaching online courses. For more details on Lisa’s work and to see appearances of Lisa on TV, please see www.amazingcoaching.co.uk.