As 2020 comes to an end, many people will be setting goals or New Year resolutions for 2021. However, although many of us start well with good intentions in the New Year, we may end up losing positive momentum or ‘ giving’ up on our New Year Resolutions by February / March.
In todays Amazing Coaching blog, I am going to share with you my views on why new year resolutions don’t work and what you can do to set yourself up for success.
Traditional New Year Goal Setting.
For many years, people have set new goals at New Year. This may include losing weight, giving up drinking or smoking. Goals may also be set for becoming more confident, starting a new business or forming a new relationship.
However, one of the issues with traditional goal setting is that it often results in ‘ giving up’ something that you enjoy! Therefore, you end up having to ‘ motivate’ yourself or forcing yourself to struggle upstream. When you do this, the mind may be willing but the body may not be on board 100%! You are therefore not in alignment.
How to set successful New Year Resolutions
- Before setting any New Year Resolutions, check in with your body that your NYR really feels good to you! Your NYR should feel downstream rather than upstream. It should make you feel you feel excited in your body. Don’t set NYR that feel like ‘ should do’s! – this is often why New Year resolutions don’t work!
- Instead of setting a goal – set a desire. Make sure the desire feels personal and aligned with who you really are.
- Think of achieving your New Year Resolutions as closing the gap between where you are now, and where you want to be. ( Close the gap on your stream to your warehouse)
- Praise yourself every step of the way. Remember, you are in a canoe not a speed boat!
- Learn to soothe and encourage yourself downstream. Every small step you make will change your point of attraction.
Whatever you do this New Year, please remember to be kind to yourself! Sending you lots of love for 2021.